This week at
it's Doni's turn to choose the challenge and she's saying, "Baby, It's Cold Outside!" which means she wants to see those winter makes.
Usually, when you think of winter in Canada, especially in Ontario, you think of snow. We were certainly thinking of snow at Christmas time when a fairly epic multi-day snowstorm hit which left people stranded, caused accidents and damage, closed roads and had many families have postpone their Christmas events. We were lucky, all my Babies and *Sub-Babies were tucked in here on the Thursday night (23rd) with plans to stay for the duration. We also didn't lose power, which was surprising, given the high winds. So, we ended up having a cozy Christmas, and were able to make the short drive to my dad's place on Christmas Day and the even shorter drive to my mil's on Boxing Day so it didn't end up affecting us too much.
Thing is, we're not exactly thinking of snow now. Because after all that snow, the temps rose and then it rained for....it feels like.....two weeks. So, all that's left of snow around here are some crusty, rock hard snowdrifts that just didn't get completely melted before the temps went back below freezing.
Guess what I'm saying is, if you want to see snow from 'round here, you'll have to make due with this card....
So, why not give our challenge a go this week and join us? And, if you'd like more inspiration, be sure to check out what the Girlfriends have made.
*If you're wondering what a Sub-Baby is, that's the group term I use for my kids' SOs. My daughter actually came up with it when we were having a conversation about....well.....pecking order, I guess you could say. She was (jokingly) trying to get me to say I loved her SO the most out of the SOs. I, of course, did the classic Mom thing and said I loved them all the same. That morphed into a conversation about how, technically, I loved my three kids, a little more than the three SOs, because, well, other than the obvious, I said that if anything were to go down, I would definitely be choosing my kids over the SOs. So, while I loved the SOs too and did consider them as my Babies (as they were granted the same circumstances as back when I would 'adopt' kids into our family if I was taking charge of them, for example, if I was taking a teammate of my kids to a sporting event, it meant they didn't have to pay for anything, but in return they had to listen to me when I told them to put on sunscreen etc.) only theirs was a permanent adoption, but they had to be ranked just a smidge, just a lil titch, below my Babies. Her response: "Oh, so they're Sub-Babies then." And the rest is history.
Also for:
Creative Fingers: anything goes
My Time to Christmas Craft: favourite technique - Using embossing powder! (:
ABC Christmas: A for anything
Ellibelle's: anything goes
The Holly & Ivy: anything Christmas goes
Crafty Calendar: add a sentiment
A Place to Start: anything goes
Use Your Stuff: real or faux stitching
613 Avenue Create: winter
Peace on Earth: anything Christmas
We Love Stamping: favourite colours - I love me some purple!

Hihihihi...the sub-babies explanation cracked me up. So...about the card, super cute, love the snowflakes, that great sentiment and the twine with the little bells (the perfect finishing touch).
ReplyDeleteLove the way your card turned out when you doubled down on the embossing powder! great idea.
ReplyDeleteSub babies, ha ha ha, I have some of those too, and I love your pretty purple snowflakes and lovely thick embossing powder for a gorgeous winter card..I was watching all the snow blizzards and stuff on TV, gosh it looked terrible but glad you were all tucked up sung and warm inside..
ReplyDeleteLuv CHRISSYxx
A super Winter card, many thanks for sharing a favourite colour at our January challenge at We Love Stamping.
ReplyDeleteB x
Great winter card and thanks for joining us at 613 Avenue Create hugs Sue x
ReplyDeletePretty and fun card with the purple snow, very creative and a great and clever save with the embossing powder!!
ReplyDeleteThank you for joining our challenge at Peace On Earth!
Diane POE Co-Owner
{Nellies Nest}
{Peace On Earth}
{Stencil Fun}
What a great color scheme and beautifully designed card! We had arctic temps around Christmas here in IL and such high winds that I was so worried the power would go out as the lights kept flickering (my hubby had the flu and it would have been awful to be without power while he had a fever!!) Glad you all ended up having a good Christmas with the kids and "sub" kids safe at home!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for sharing your gorgeous card at my Crafty Wednesday challenge!
Ellie
Ellibelle's Corner
Jan: What a fun and unique wintery Christmas card you've made! The embossing powder gives just a hint of sheen that's great for a wintery scene! Thanks for including MTTCC in your link-ups! --Becca/DT
ReplyDeleteI just really love this card and the unexpected purple snow. Itʻs been so long since Iʻve seen snow (thankfully), I thought maybe climate change had changed the color of snow in beautiful Canada. And I love the aberrant embossing powder, it definitely belongs. Iʻm so glad you had a good Christmas!
ReplyDeleteFell in love with your winter card, Jan. I like the colors and your layout. Luckily here in Germany we have NO SNOW !
ReplyDeleteImke ~ MY CRAFTY PLACE
Well, the stray embossing powder was a happy accident, cos I love your flecks of embossing.
ReplyDeleteSounds like you were lucky to escape the worst of the weather over the holidays. No snow here - yet! (North Yorkshire) But we've had that rain for a couple of weeks too.
Wish we had a bit of snow, we got freezing rain instead. Beautiful card. Thanks for sharing with us at Use Your Stuff
ReplyDeleteSub-babies! That's awesome!!
ReplyDeleteAnd great card too! The extra bits of embossing are perfect with your snowy scene!
What a lovely card, Jan, I like how you've used purple instead of the more common blue for the snowflakes! Thanks for joining in at Dream Valley!
ReplyDeletelove Mags B x
EEEK! I mean thanks for joining in at The Holly and Ivy Christmas Challenge! D'OH as Homer Simpson would say!
ReplyDeletelove Mags B x
très charmante création Jan, originale et très chic, merci de jouer avec nous chez ABC Christmas Card, biz
ReplyDelete