Thursday, September 26, 2013

Crafting - A Study of Percentages

That's right folks, we're going to do some math today. Though, I'm probably not the one who should be leading the lesson as a few days ago, while speaking with a couple of women, I made the mistake of saying "to play four on four on four courts we'd need 20 players". Yeah, em-bar-ras-sing.

So, if the numbers don't quite add up here remember it's more for entertainment purposes than anything.

On to the percentages......When I craft and make whatever, it falls into one of four categories:

Retch - meaning that is so ugly I should have to apologize to the paper/stamp creators for subjecting their products to such icky-ness and I will not post it on my blog (or I will just 'cause I have to for a dt commitment but I'll regret it forever) or give the creation to anyone ever

It'll Do - meaning, yeah, s'alright, s'okay I guess (it has a sub-category called Meh for the cards that aren't quite bad enough for Retch classification), no big problem giving it to anyone, but usually reserved for people I really don't like that much

Hey, That's Actually Pretty Good - meaning when it was completed, I liked it, I probably gave it one of those "not bad" facial expressions accompanied by a nod when I was finished, I usually give these creations to my immediate family so I can see it again

I Love It - meaning, holy crap, I made something I really, really, really like

Now, to break it down, 15% of what I make falls into the Retch category; 74% is It'll Do; 10% is Hey It's Actually Pretty Good, and 1% is I Love It. And to break it down even further, if I made 10 projects, 7 would be okay; 2 would be destined for the circular file (as I try to find email addresses for apology notes to manufacturers); 1 would be good and, given the law of averages and such mathy sctuff, none would have me wallowing if my own creative brilliance.

And all that used to be okay by me. But now, I'm finding it's not. Completing cards that are almost always destined for the It'll Do category leaves me feeling mojo-less and unsatisfied.

Take this card for instance.....


Super cute digi from A Day For Daisies, great fall paper......but nothing special happened.  *sigh*

I am still going to enter this card in a bunch of challenges though.  'Cause that's the other part of not being happy with It'll Do cards, I don't feel like I should enter them in challenges.  I used to enter just about everything I've made but now I only want to enter really, really good projects.  Cards from the HTAPG category in the very least.

But sometimes I just miss posting rambling gobbledygook on my blog, and don't have anything good made, and want an excuse to avoid doing some housework so, Card Challlenge Land, here I come.

P.S.  Know that I'm going to give that hairy twine a bit of a trim when I'm done this.  How that stuff manages to grow that much from the time I complete a card to the half day or whatever it takes for me to take a pic I'll never know.

For:

A Day for Daisies:  buttons & bows
MilkCoffee:  paper piecing
{Pin}spirational:  inspirational photo
Card Mania:  use at least one button
Cards For Men:  string
Created With Love:  fall colours
Cutie Pie:  a cute one for the boys
Ooh-La-La:  for men
Paper Nest Dolls:  happy fall y'all
Love to Create:  inspirational colour photo
Challenges 4 Everybody:  anything goes
Dream Valley:  autumn
Pile It On:  warm colours
Di's Digi Design:  fall colours
Scrap-Creations:  fall
The Male Room:  animal, avian or aquarian
Simon Says Stamp:  anything goes
4 Krafty Chicks:  anything goes
Crafty Little Fairies:  autumn colours
Delightful Challenges:  happy fall y'all
Paper-Crafting Journey:  for a boy
Just For Fun:  colours of autumn

35 comments:

  1. I love this card..it is so cute!!! Awesome awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for making me smile with your percentages, I know exactly what you mean!!!
    Your dog is pretty cute too. Thanks for joining us at The Male Room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a darling image. Love the zig zag in the sweater. Thanks for joining our Fall Colors Challenge at Created With Love Challenges

    ~~Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will what can I say....ditto. Thanks for joining our Happy Fall Ya'll Challenge at Delightful Challenges.

    ~~Chris
    DC-DT

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is a lovely card ;-) thank you for making me smile too :) hopefully, feeling mojo-less won't last too long :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terrific card! I think it should be in a category better than 'it'll do''!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear LRW Design Team member, Unstampabelles Design Team member, Special Guest Designer at Tiddly Ink and winner of numerous Top 3/5. (or as I like to say ... Dear Jan)

    Self esteem 101 classes are being held at my house. Please don't bring any of your fabulous cards - you will put the the other girls to shame and they won't like you. (Ok so they are not a very supportive group - they have issues you know!)

    I might suggest that you change your categories to 1,2,3. (OCD friendly) 1 being awesome, 2 being sorta awesome and 3 being awesome with a touch of 'eh'.

    Thanks so much for the entertaining blog post - I rushed straight over here when I saw your striking card pop up in my side bar thingy. hugs x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This totally made me smile. Thanks, Jenny. :-)

      Delete
  8. What a cute dog image love it and they way you paper pierced the shirt.
    Thanks for joining us at Created With Love Challenges this week.
    Linda K. DT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great image, love the paper piecing, thank you for joining in the Just for Fun challenge, good luck

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a lovely sweet cute card thanks for sharing with CWLC this week
    Rachel DT

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous card Jan :-) I LOVE the image and the tree,,, and your colouring is perfect !!

    I laughed at reading your percentages haha ,,, but,,, you are being far too hard on yourself ,, this IS FABULOUS !! I think you need to upgrade this into the 'Holy Crap' category :-)

    thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge
    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love, love love this card. Thanks for joining us at Love To Create.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A gorgeous dog image and I love your use of the twine. Thanks for joining us at CFM, good lucki with the challenge. hugs Shirleyxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jan...oh wow I love this cute dog and the gorgeous, rich colours on your card! Thanks for taking part in our Fall Colours challenge at Di's Digi Designs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great chevron jumper and love the dimensional branch. Thank you for joining us at Pinspirational Challenges. Come back next week!
    Marina

    ReplyDelete
  16. This pooch is absolutely adorable!
    I really like his chevron sweater!
    Thank you for playing along with A Day for Daisies!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So beautiful! Love cute dog and tree. Thank you for joining our Happy Fall Ya’ll Challenge at The Paper Nest Dolls.
    Jasmina DT PND

    ReplyDelete
  18. A great card - love your cute dog. Thanks for joining us this week in The Male Room - Jacqueline xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful choice of colours and some really great embellishments! Thank you for sharing at Card Mania Challendges!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your card jumped out at me in the ADFD gallery! Great coloring. I especially love your tree - what a creative idea - and the colors are fab. Looking at your sidebar, either you make a trainload of cards or you may have to recalculate your percentages! Thanks for your witty post ~ I'm becoming a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the lovely comment! And welcome to my little corner of Blogdom. :-)

      Delete
  21. love the tree over hanging the image thanks for joining us at OLL
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  22. Adorable card! The puppy looks ready to play in the leaves! Thank you for joining us for our Colored Inspired Challenge this week at Love to Create.
    Ruza, LTC Designer

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh how adorable . Thank you for joining in over at Just For Fun . I would love to see more of your projects in the future JFF DT

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awww..so cute!
    Thanks for playing at Pile It On!
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Jan, you crack me up, make me smile, and that's what it's all about!! :) :)
    I enjoy reading your fun and witty banter... makes me feel like we are having a bit of a convo!! :) :) Have a great week ~~ and I love your super fun autumn leaves card w. the sweet pup wearing a paper pieced sweater... :) :) I think you may have filed this one in the wrong category!! :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is cute, he doesn't look impressed that it's autumn! Thanks for joining our Colours of Autumn challenge at Just For Fun!

    Elaine xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a GREAT card!!!
    Thank You for joining us last week at PIO!
    Have a GREAT day!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Fab card ... Thanks so much for joining us over at 4 Krafty Girlz!
    Hugs Donna DT xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. You are far too hard on yourself! I think us crafters tend to be..... I, for one, love your card! Thank you for sharing it with us at Dream Valley. Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. oh so perfectly fall! i love this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I so enjoyed reading your post and as I was reading I was thinking that this card was for sure to fall in the 'I Love it' catergory. As I did love it....and I thought it had that little bit of different because of the way you had done the leaves. The hairy twine is perfect with the dog image. I can relate to the categories.

    ReplyDelete
  32. How sweet!!! Thanks so much for participating in our {PIN}SPIRATIONAL challenge!! Hope to see you again for our next challenge!!
    ~DEANNE~
    A Little Bit O' Paper

    ReplyDelete

Okay, so ever since I started my blog (well, maybe not right from the get-go, it was probably a good six months or so before I realized you could change it from just "Leave your comment") I've tried to come up with something witty to type here.

*sitting with brow furrowed in concentration*...*staring at the ceiling while pursing lips*...*resting with head on hand while tapping foot*...

Nope, I still got nothing.