ICAD is the brainchild of Tammy at Daisy Yellow. And the idea behind ICAD, which stands for index-card-a-day, (that's probably making it make more sense right there), is basically a two-step process. Now pay attention, I don't what to have to repeat myself.
Step # 1 - Use a 3" X 5" index card.
Step# 2 - Put something artsy on it.
Thems the rules right there (at least how I'm interpreting them). If you would like to read ICAD's FAQ you can click here. Of course there's some other stuff that goes along with it like 10 optional prompts a week and places to link up your ICADs that makes it all more interesting and fun.
Now, there's one huge reason (with a bunch of sub-reasons within that reason) why I think this is such a great train to climb aboard. (Well, reasons other than the fact that I get to wear overalls, a conductor's hat and use a whistle.) First, making art on an index card is very freeing.
Like really, really freeing. (So freeing it got its own paragraph.)
Sub-Reason # 1 - Index cards all small. You can make index card art fast. (At least that's what I'm finding.) And, if you make something and you hate it, it's oh so easy to rip it up and move on because, chances are, you didn't spend a lot of time or materials it so you don't feel at all obligated to try and save it if it's doomed. You just pick up another index card ('cause I got a 300 stack of them for under 5 bucks) and move on.
Sub-Reason # 2 - I can make art for me guilt-free. Let me explain that a bit. When I create something, sure the process is for me, but the end result is not. It's always something to give away, so that is always taken into consideration when I making the project and I make sure I'm creating it for that person rather than myself. But who am I going to give an index card to? Also, it's not like I'm going to make it conform to any challenges or dt obligations either.
Sub-Reason # 3 - The index cards can be a canvas for all the wacky that goes on inside my head. 'Cause sometimes it deserves to get out to. That said, I'm wondering if maybe some of these will be too "ME" for y'all to handle, especially for those poor souls that see me on occasion irl. (I guess I'll find that out if people start screaming and running the other way.)
Okay, I could go on with more reasons as to why it's a fabulous idea but I'm sure you get the picture. Plus, I'm getting bored with my blathering so I can only image what you're feeling by now. So, shutting up and showing you my first index cards.
Bah, bah bah....(Sorry, I felt my premiere cards needed to be trumpeted in.)
Prompt: Dictionary

Prompt: Fish

Prompt: Chaos

Prompt: B & W

Prompt: The Colours of Winter

Prompt: Map

And there you have it, my first 6 ICADs. I have made more but I figured this post was picture (and b'jeebers - word) heavy enough so I'll save them for another time. (Plus my number # 7 card has disappeared. I've been numbering them and I'm not too sure if my numbering is wrong or one card snuck off. Oh the intrigue!)
So, definitely think about joining in. I'm positive you won't regret it.
I saw this index card recently. I love the idea and you definitely did a great job. I am betting number seven was eaten by the fish lol I could not resist
ReplyDelete*snicker* Maybe I shouldn't have invited him to the party.
ReplyDeleteThese are all great! Love the chaos card - and the B&W one made me giggle.
ReplyDeleteYour posts just crack me up Jan and I read them from start to end. I love this idea of the card system.... a lot of it is why I do my calendars. So I will have to look more into this. Your index cards are all so terrific.
ReplyDelete♥♥♥OH HOLY WOW♥♥♥
ReplyDeleteok, not only am i totally ♥LOVING♥ every single one of these... (we really do have a VERY similar sense of humor... and yet somehow YOU seem to be "passing" as a non-space-alien, you must tell me the secret sometime!) ...but i'm sooooo excited that you are LOVING the process; that it seems like you feel the same sense of freedom/inspiration that i did when i first tried art journaling and did pretty much a 180 flip from "why do ppl do that?" to "OMG this is AWESOME!!!" in like 5 minutes... probably why i am so evangelical on the subject now...
love how cool these are both visually, and then also that each one has a little twist or joke to it; plus the brilliant way you're employing different supplies to quietly enhance each theme... seriously, these just SO TOTALLY ROCK in every way!!!
ps: pretty sure the 7th card got sucked into the black hole on the chaos card... gotta be careful, stuff like that tends to happen...
(for the record i *THINK* the CHAOS one is my very favorit, though i do well & truly loooooove them ALL!!!) ♥
Your cards are looking great!
ReplyDeleteROFL reading your blog....love the cards so they are like ATC's only a little bigger ?
ReplyDeleteLove the one fish two fish card..orange fish...reminds me of the mothers day card I got with a knock knock joke on it.
"Ooooh I like that!" I said at the first card...and the second I said, "and that"...and I soon realized I could stop while I was ahead and say nothing because every single one I think rocks. Your style is fab, love it.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great idea - love them Jan!
ReplyDeleteInteresting stuff....bit like an anything goes ATC! Cool.
ReplyDeleteVisiting here from Tammy's site...your cards are so clever and entertaining! So glad that you are in on this challenge.
ReplyDeleteHoly mother of wow! I love your cards, so much inspiration and good ideas!
ReplyDeleteI love all your 'reasons' for doing the challenge, and ALL your cards! fun and funny!
ReplyDeleteYou are too funny..... keep your sense of humor, it's contagious!
ReplyDeleteLove those cards, this is awesome. Going over the the site to learn more.